[Freedombox-discuss] [Freedom Box] Finding your FB box on the network

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Oct 14 15:08:45 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 04:45:09PM +0200, Christian Brædstrup wrote:
>I have never worked with Zeroconf but what if you run a DHCP server and
>a DNS server on your network already? Can't it give some problems? I
>also like the solution where the user doesn't have to download any
>software to his own PC but how easy is it to setup on any network?

Zeroconf coexist nicely with DHCP.

It consists of Link-Local Multicast IP number discovery, and on top of
that either mDNS/DNS-SD.

Microsoft use same Link-Local mechanism with UPnP on top for their
localnet automatic service discovery.

I suggest to use both mechanisms to advertise FreedomBox on the local
network.  And I suggest to first get Zeroconf to work, because that
Avahi seems most easy to work with (but that's maybe because I grew up
with more Macs than Windows machines).