[Freedombox-discuss] [Freedom Box] Finding your FB box on the network

Christian Brædstrup linuxchristian at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 20:57:18 UTC 2010

Bert, I don't think you can use the debian installer to install from a
Live-CD. That is why I have talked about using the debootstrap and not the
installer. If you can find any sources where they say it is posible then
great but on the Debian live wiki they have this page:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Howto/Custom_Install
But we don't need to build a installer because the debootstrap is a debian
installer. From the debootstrap site:

debootstrap <http://packages.debian.org/debootstrap> is a tool which will
install a Debian base system into a subdirectory of another, already
installed system. It doesn't require an installation CD, just access to a
Debian repository <http://wiki.debian.org/What_is_a_repository%3F>.

Here our existing debian system is the live system.

Yes, I agree that my solution is a bit complicated but not more then
settting up a webID. I have tryed to get a webID but I after using 20 minuts
I don't want to spend more time trying to get one and I can't see how a
cracked computer with a webID on it would secure the user from a intruder
overtaking the FB.

If you guys can make webID dirt easy to use and not depend on someone having
to create a login on a third party website to install there box then I am
all for it. My stand is that the fewer accounts the user needs to create and
third part software he needs to install the better the FB will be. If the
software needs to be easy to use then we need to use as much existing user
infrastructure as posible.

Now having looked a little bit more at Zeroconf I think it is a fine
solution. I will try to look into creating a system that boots with Zeroconf
support. Is anyone else working on that?

Cheers,
Christian