[Freedombox-discuss] Opinions on the Excito B3

Francesco Poli frx at firenze.linux.it
Sun Oct 31 14:29:16 UTC 2010

Hi all,
I would like to experiment on the home server front and would like to
do it by installing Debian on a little, silent, and energy saving box,
that would act as a gateway/firewall/DHCP-server/caching-DNS-server
(and then probably, mail server, web server, and so forth, as well...)
between my ADSL ethernet modem and my LAN switch.

I think this project has some similarities with the freedombox one,
hence I am writing here.

N.B.: I am not subscribed to the list, please Cc: me on replies!

I would like to know what you think about the Excito B3 product as a
possible hardware platform for my project and/or for the freedombox
project:

http://www.excito.com/bubba/products/technical-specifications.html
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=excito_b3&num=1

My idea would be to take this box and replace the pre-installed OS
(which is based on Debian squeeze anyway) with a hand-made installation
of Debian testing (I think I should be able to boot the Debian
Installer from a USB flash drive... I wonder how I could interact with
the Debian Installer though, until I can ssh into the box...).

Ideas?
Opinions?

Apologies in advance, if you feel I am off topic.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/progs/scripts/pdebuild-hooks.html
 Need some pdebuild hook scripts?