[Freedombox-discuss] Quality of service (QOS) - Asterisk

Tue Sep 7 21:54:01 UTC 2010

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson writes:

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Sam Hartman <hartmans at debian.org> wrote:
>
>>    Peter> So it would be adventurous for the FreedomBox to be able to
>>    Peter> use IPv6 with its peers too gain that reliability.
>>
>> I definitely think using IPv6 (often tunneled over v4) would be a great
>> simplifying architectural assumption.  However I'm not aware of any
>> practical difference between integrated services, differentiated
>> services or the DSCP field between IPv4 and IPv6.  So, I'm unaware of
>> why v6 provides QOS advantages.
>>

> Native IPv6 provides some nice QOS features - but as soon as you tunnel it
> over IPv4 then I think it is safe to say they will no longer be effective:
> all you've accomplished is to add tunneling overhead and latency, making
> your VOIP experience that much worse.

      Thanks Bjarni,

As you point with a Native IPv6 network there are some nice QOS features but
these benefits are lost with the IPv4 tunneling.

Then we need to make the most out of what IPv4 and packet shaping can give
use. The different services, as in web, email and voip on the FreedomBox
will need to be packet shaped to suit there needs. So that the up link on
the FreedomBox is has share as possible.

      Regards: Peter Colton

 --
( GnuPG ID A5B614D4 )
( ftp.colton.me.uk/GnuPG/A5B614D4.asc )