[Freedombox-discuss] Webmail

Chaos Man contact at chaostheater.net
Sat Sep 25 10:11:32 UTC 2010

Hi,

I wrote a while ago that I was interested in getting a nice webmail
client up and running.  Something that provides more the interface of
gmail than of RoundCube. Anyway, I have been working and have an 0.1
release if anyone is interesting in banging on it and giving me some
feedback.  I understand that anything on the FreedomBox will need to be
a Debian package first, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
This project gave me the inspiration to work on a webmail client;
hopefully some of you find it interesting.

You can get the source code via:
   hg clone http://bitbucket.org/ethan_sf/posterity_tg
There is an INSTALL.txt file that should explain how to install and a
small script to do the install.  I made a 0.1 tag that will remain
stable as I work on some refactoring.  And there will be some db schema
refactoring, so please only use this as a test, do not store the only
copy of any email on this server.

If you have any feedback on this, please email me or add them to the
bitbucket issue tracker.

As an aside, I came across another (somewhat) similar project.  They are
working on a home media server (with VPN, Dynamic DNS, wiki,
calendaring, file sharing, backup, audio streaming, etc.).  And it was
recently ported to the SheevaPlug.  The focus seems much more on home
entertainment or home office than a truly secure, distributed internet,
but they do have a userbase, so it may be interesting to see which
features convince people to install a home server.

http://www.amahi.org/features/gallery
http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Amahi_Plug_Edition

Cheers,
 Ethan

p.s. Yes, I do eat my dog food.  I sent this mail with my program, and
read it as well.