[Freedombox-discuss] Suitability of Globalscale as partner?

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Apr 7 07:07:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 18:04:52 +0200, Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta <agi at inittab.org> wrote:
> > >They also have a history of producing things that I would be nervous
> > >about leaving plugged in my home (I'd probably be OK with one in my
> > >garage, in a sand filled box, with a fire suppressant system overhead
> > >;-)
> I don't consider them dangerous, and I've been using my Sheeva for more
> than a year now at my place, in my table, without noise or fires :-)

OK, sorry, I don't _really_ consider them actively dangerous -- I was
using hyperbole in a feeble attempt at humour.

On the other hand, the reason I bought mine was with a view to supply
them to clients as things like DNS servers, and having seen them in the
flesh have decided that I don't want tie tie my reputation to that
hardware, so while I'm relatively happy that if the PSU burns out, it'll
probably fail safe, I'm not willing to take that burnout risk to save 50
UKP, I'm not impressed with the SD card slot being arranged such that the
main storage is sticking mostly out of the box and feels loose enough
that it might well fall out under gravity, and I certainly don't want to
find out the the expiring PSU fused a rack, or set off the fire alarms
in the machine room -- the risk is just not worth it, especially since
the client is going to be happy to pay the price difference for the
OpenRD, which exudes reliability in comparison, and has room for an HDD.

Cheers, Phil.