[Freedombox-discuss] A software architecture for the FreedomBox

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Apr 13 16:20:58 UTC 2011

On 11-04-13 at 05:49pm, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 05:06:23PM +0200, Rob van der Hoeven wrote:
>
> > One of the first things you have to do when building a system like
> > the FreedomBox is figure out the software architecture. I have come
> > up with an interesting architecture that is made of Linux Containers
> > (Virtual
>
> Using Linux vserver guests for service separation (jails on steroids)
> is an excellent idea, actually.

I find it interesting, but am sceptical: I believe each jail consume
separate memory for their libraries - i.e. cannot benefit from shared
libraries.  So I worry about memory consumption.

On a related note I want to keep low the number of used library
environments - e.g. try to aim for...

  * only one of libssl or gnutls
  * fewest possible of Python, Perl, Bash, Ruby, PHP

...especially for things running as daemons, but also for e.g.
cron-triggered scripts, as even temporary required memory might not be
available.

I notice the test system uses swap.  That is bad if using internal flash
disks as they wear much faster that way, and swapping onto an external
harddisk is not user-friendly: Treating it as hot-plug then not only
risk roccupting the data files potentially being in the middle of a
transaction but crashes the whole system!