[Freedombox-discuss] Roadmap / Wishlists

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Tue Apr 19 03:08:21 UTC 2011

> I know there's a
> BASH prog called "shred" that will do some of what I have in mind, but I
> haven't had the chance or the spare box to experiment with it.

The short answer is that it doesn't work at all on flash drives.
Researchers tried it, disassembled the drives, and found their
'erased' data sitting right there in the flash chips.  If you have
something that you want to reliably erase, don't ever put it onto a
flash drive (not an SSD, not an SD card, not a USB stick).  Put it on
a real hard disk drive and don't attach that drive via USB (because USB
doesn't offer the secure erase commands that are built-in to the drive).

A real Freedom Box that serves up your photos and media to your family
and friends, or makes your music collection accessible to you and your
friends no matter where you are, will want a hard drive anyway.  You
can't offload your camera's SD card into a server with no more memory
than an SD card holds!  Or rather, you can't do that more than a few
times before your server fills up.

	John