[Freedombox-discuss] On small programs

Les Orchard l.m.orchard at pobox.com
Wed Apr 20 14:01:03 UTC 2011

On 4/20/11 8:07 AM, comotion at krutt.org wrote:
>> FreedomBox is about putting together existing software packages to
>> provide freedom-enabling technologies for non-technical users.
>
> .. and those freedom-enabling technologies could for sure run on the
> android as well. In fact they should and we should plan for it.
>
> -comotion

Someone can plan for it, but not as a core goal of the FreedomBox project.

As we've seen recently, Android is neither entirely a Free or Open
Source proposition, and beyond that it's a not-quite-conventional Linux
rig that does a number of things its own way. I think that would make it
a shaky foundation, at best.

l.m.orchard at pobox.com
http://decafbad.com
{web,mad,computer} scientist