[Freedombox-discuss] inspirational projects / freedombox neighbours

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Apr 23 11:38:34 UTC 2011

On 11-04-23 at 02:37am, Paul Gardner-Stephen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 8:14 PM, Charles N Wyble
> <charles at knownelement.com> wrote:
> > On 4/22/2011 2:58 PM, Trevor Holland wrote:
> >
> > How about servalproject.org ? It has tested a wi-fi mesh network at
> > a remote aboriginal community using android phones.
> >
> > One good thing about dictators' switching off mobile phone networks
> > is at least it stops android phones' potential to sell out
> > activists!  A distinction from Iphone's  seeming to actually
> > compromise pro-democracy people in Iran!
> >
> > Depends on how it gets switched off. Do they just turn off
> > voice/data and leave network operational? If so tracking can still
> > occur.
>
> Good point.  I believe that the usual course is to just shut it down
> completely.  However, this would require verification. From a
> dictator's perspective it is a 50:50 choice: turning off completely
> makes everyone's phones go flat fast as they search for coverage,
> while leaving the network half on does, as you say, give them tracking
> capability.
>
> Serval can operate in airplane mode, so it is possible to deal with
> both situations.

The "usual course"?!? I don't think "bad guys" as predictable like that.

I don't even think "bad guys" is the real challenge - bad _patterns_ is.
Behavioral patterns of our non-techy friends whom we want to support
through technology.

Some situations are best helped with strong encryption, others with weak
but stealth encryption, others with strong trust paths in public speech,
yet others with sneakernets.  But whatever the technologies involved,
the real challenge is getting our friends to embrace and consume it.

Non-geeky friends, not trained cyberwar agents like those on this list.