[Freedombox-discuss] assigned numbers without ICANN

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Apr 29 08:18:16 UTC 2011

On 11-04-28 at 07:08pm, Thomas Lord wrote:
>               Allocating Assigned Routing Numbers
>              in a Distributed and Decentralized Way
>

> NEED FOR AN OVERLAY NETWORK
>
>   Programs for Freedomboxes can not assume that each box has a
>   stable IP address.  Boxes are most often likely to lack both a
>   fixed IP and a DNS hostname.  Many boxes are also likely to be
>   connected behind highly restrictive firewalls.
>
>   Nevertheless, using some kind of "overlay network", we wish to
>   establish point-to-point communication between freedomboxes.

I strongly recommend to work on this independently from the FreedomBox
project.

I don't mean "go away - you are disturbing this list" but rather that no
technology should be unique to FreedomBoxes - so I suggest to either
remove the term "Freedomboxes" from your paper or at least very clearly
state it as _example_ use of the proposed protocol, and then goout aim
more widely with it - e.g. make it a RFC.

Good luck with the project!