[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox Webserver

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Tue Aug 2 16:51:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 18:40 +0200, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> I think it's well established by now that freedombox will run a web server.
>
> I'm keen to start getting things up and running, even if it's only
> something as small as a web presence running under debian, maybe with
> an FB badge.
>
> Do we have a preference, apache or nginx or user choice?  Bear in mind
> every option you allow will require support and increase time to
> market.
>
> Tempting just to say apache2 and be done with it?

I haven't seen any expression of preference on this list, but since the
FreedomBox is just Debian, if you're able to package a configuration
that works to build some aspect of the FreedomBox, it's not terribly
relevant. There will certainly be some default server, but that'll be
decided at some point in the future, and some users will want to install
other things anyway.

It's far more important to actually get things done than to debate about
which program to configure.

You might want to try to follow the workflow Ian posted a bit back:
<http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-July/002216.html>

or, in a nutshell:

      * Configure the software you want to freedomboxitize
      * Document how you did that on the wiki so that others can do it
        immediately
      * Create a deployable recipe of that configuration in Puppet,
        Chef, or whatever other config management tool you prefer
        (presumably, when FreedomBox standardizes on one, all existing
        recipes will be ported over).

Good luck, and let us know how things go!