[Freedombox-discuss] report on activities in Banja Luka

ya knygar knygar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 13:34:06 UTC 2011

I need to add for Friendika that - it is a case where kind of politics come in,
when you use Friendika with an old protocol (or classic Fr, anyway)
you get "Two-way and private communications are not yet available on
all networks, and in a few cases these abilities are not possible due
to limitations in the underlying communications formats."

it means - or FBX is a kind of GNU community i.e. - the strict community
working anti-cloud
e.g. - the connections with proprietary networks would not be tolerated :)
Or FBX is a different kind(s)

and now, the recent
"Zot! is more for service providers seeking the ability to handle
large numbers of people. It will have all the features of Friendika -
except for offering multiple networks."
http://project.friendika.com/node/124
"Zot! will support up to a hundred times as many members, but they
won't have access to Facebook, Twitter, email, RSS feeds, identi.ca,
etc."

So - it's a kind of anti-federation solution, but

"Zot! will also communicate with anybody who uses a network which
incorporates the Zot! protocol, such as Friendika. And because the
protocol is much more stream-lined, we expect several other networks
will start building in Zot! support. If they've struggled to implement
"salmon" in the open stack, Zot! should be a dream."

well, that's the one show-case of a situation with a FLOSS social
networking and FSW(or kind of) projects.

I'm, still, believe in voting so if FreedomBox Foundation would
ever support some particular(even so - others would be an option)
social project,
i hope this decision will come from voting of potential users.

There are more variants than we can imagine now,
and Foundation if it would Fund - could actually help the FSW to
became a mass used social realm.
Certainly -  it's hard but as i see it now - not so long away road.