[Freedombox-discuss] [gnu-prog-discuss] MediaGoblin, now an official GNU project :)

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Tue Aug 9 21:35:34 UTC 2011

Uhm... after reading your mail I rather got the feeling you have redefined
your requirements from "bust through firewalls" to "do everything GNUnet
does, the way GNUnet does them". I concede failure! :-P

I was only responding to your claim that there was only one free software
application out there that helps people run servers in a firewalled and
IP-address scarce world.

If you had said 'anonymously' I wouldn't have written anything at all,
because that is not the point of PageKite.

But, really - the idea of anonymously sharing your MediaGoblin album, with
your friends who you know personally, is a bit of an oxymoron to say the
least.  The whole things is virtually the opposite of anonymity.  You might
want to do it privately, and securely, using a well known protocol like
SSL/TLS, but anonymously?

> - I can't demand that everyone who wants to visit
> > my photo albums install a GNU VPN client or an IPv6 tunnel; my photo
> album
> > has to work with the web browser and Internet connection they have
> already.
>
>  no you can't - but you *can* ask them to plug in a little tiny box
> into the wall (which you gave to them as a christmas present) and it
> juuust so happens that it has everything pre-installed and
> pre-configured and/or self-configuring to do the job...

Actually, I consider this entirely unacceptable. :-)

I want to be able to use my FreedomBox for public publishing, for blogging,
for photo albums which can be opened up and shared with strangers I meet at
the pub.  You know, the stuff most people use the Internet for and today
depend on Yahoo/Flickr and Facebook and Google/Blogger.  I want to own my
logs, as Eben talked about, so I know who is browsing my content, and I want
those logs to live in my house so it takes a search warrant to get at them.

In my opinion, the FreedomBox can't be *just* a darknet. It can and should
have access to a darknet, and FreedomBoxes can and should prefer the most
secure and private communication channels available to them and help people
make use of them. But plain old publicly visible HTTPS on boring old
centralized DNS names will have to be available as well, or there will be no
gradual transition - and honestly, there will probably be no transition at
all because the devices will be effectively useless to most people.

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.

Make localhost servers visible to the world: http://pagekite.net/