[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox Stack quick question

John Walsh fiftyfour at waldevin.com
Thu Aug 11 09:05:59 UTC 2011

Hi Everybody,

I read the following on a separate thread (1) that the FreedomBox will have
different 'layers', with layer 4 and above for applications and networking
on levels before. The discussion was in relation to networking FBX's but
what really struck me was that we are currently packaging applications
(apache etc.) but networking at the lower layers is still unresolved. It
sounds like a hot topic and may come up in the IRC session and I just want
to grasp the basics (don't get too technical);

1) Does this mean each layer is independent of each other?

2) Does this mean we can release FBX and then do an upgrade through a click
of the button like Firefox to add networking?

I don't want to get into a discussion about the different options. I really
only want to know can you do with it and then *easily* upgrade it later.

-- fiftyfour