[Freedombox-discuss] report on activities in Banja Luka

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Aug 11 16:52:04 UTC 2011

On 11-08-11 at 06:18am, J David Eisenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> > On 11-08-10 at 06:33am, J David Eisenberg wrote:
> >> Purely out of curiosity, would you prefer Scala to Java? Same JVM,
> >> but a more "modern" language.

[snip]

> I was really just curious to know if your dislike was for Java as a
> language or the JVM as a platform.

Sorry for distorting your question.

I have no experience with Scala, so really cannot compare.

My (limited) experiences with Java have shown it as consuming lots of
memory and running less reliable (i.e. crashing rather than just running
slower) when following documentation and attempting to limit memory use.

Also, my feel of the upstream Java community is that code sharing is
more often done by forking code than maintaining ABIs of shared
libraries.  In my understanding use of shared libraries not only improve
the ability of detecting and fixing bugs (which is the main reason for
Debian to push hard to reuse as much as possible) but also may save
memory when multiple projects are running concurrently.

My knowledge of Java may be wrong, and my judgement on the community or
technical understanding of shared library benefits may be flawed.
Nevertheless I have in the past been discoured from using Java so that
today I am not knowledgeable in playing with it or packaging it.

So even if my arguments for avoiding Java is wrong, correcting my
knowledge won't change my choices: I am *today* not as comfortable
packaging or testing Java code as I am with code written in Perl, C,
C++, Python, Erlang, Haskell, Node or Lua.

> > Looking forward to your concrete contributions too!
>
> I'm more of a documentation kind of guy, so that's probably where
> you'll see me doing stuff.

Great!  I recognize being lousy at that myself, so really excited that
some care explicitly for that area!