[Freedombox-discuss] report on activities in Banja Luka

ya knygar knygar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 22:07:44 UTC 2011

Hi there!

@Marc
thank you,
> CoffeeScript
is being used for XCCC ShareJS,
i think it's nice and i'v read that Brendan Eich
(the creator and one of the maintainers of JS)
have been considering it's a base work(among other)
 for future of JS/Harmony.
I hope that kind of languages would be used for a new Web Apps,
that people could create without an advanced knowledge of programming.

-
@Jonas
> (sadly, IMO) in Java.  I hope that someone will take the
> challenge of reimplementing that in something more lightweight, i.e.
> using Xapian (either in C or C++ or in some scripting language).
+1
the challenge is very challenging :)
 there are many features
that weren't in the scope of GSOC project at all.
I hope - the pub-sub users among FLOSS projects could collaborate on
something BIG... maybe, into next level/version of FBX's ?

-
@John
> FSW
is a http://federatedsocialweb.net
it seems abandoned now but i don't
think it's dead, just a little disorganized,
but as you could see from XCCC pad,
there are many reasons and really many decisions
on the road to Federated Web.
I have proposed here and there the strong collaboration with W3C,

for FBX and W3C Web it could be a great leap forward, anyway.
-
@J David
> I was really just curious to know if your dislike was for Java as a
> language or the JVM as a platform.
the experience of a FLOSS social networking projects
from time to time shows that Java for a FLOSS (social networking)
project !tend to be dangerous,
in the end,
the major recent examples are - Google Wave and Etherpad (Classic as i call it)
You end with a half a million of lines where node.js could need only thousands,
among other aspects.

The statement that G+ uses Java makes me believe - we could be better for a
free, increasingly experimental use-cases.

The developer of ShareJS - Josephg once said
> I think whatever the future of wave's technology is, it'll be simple
> enough to be understood in an afternoon and hacked in a weekend.
I completely agree with him and could prolong the idea to my view of success
of every modern OSS decentralized, distributed, federated, etc.
-

@Rick
>     > I'm more of a documentation kind of guy, so that's probably where
    > you'll see me doing stuff.
> You're probably more valuable than a coder.  (coder here)

X)