[Freedombox-discuss] Identity Management wiki entry

ya knygar knygar at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 14:57:17 UTC 2011

> I don't think that the FBX project should try to implement/be yet another
> social network. Even if it will *be* a network, the "social network" part of
> it as commonly understood should be ran by a dedicated app

sure, but FBX should clearly describe and develop its other mechanisms
like Identification,
databases, networking protocols,
especially while FBX would be used in a creating a freenets(darknets);
 in other cases.

These mechanisms should be developed on pair with social projects that are
going to be used in FBX as a preferred and maximally Freedom-featured.

> trying to define what would be the requirements/features for a social
> network app to be included in the FBX sounds like a good idea

I think - first - FBX TAC or else should clearly decide what is needed
for Freedom
in all the advanced topics that were discussed on this list.

>That might help to choose the one(s) that are the
> more relevant for what the FBX project is trying to achieve.

XCCC members are interested in FBX ideas as in an exciting experiments,
the development of our projects is going in a way and for a way
of complete customization for the situation, still - we are very keen
on developing and supporting W3C FSW, Mozilla and other best standards,

it means - the standards aren't really standardized yet, in majority
of current - there are a few major users and that's all.

Not a Federated Social Web it should be.

Working with an existing proprietary webs is interesting but
how do you mean this??
You can't Federate with FB or G+ or even Twitter, it isn't the feature
of these networks. Isn't it?

@John
> FBX will interoperate with proprietary networks - it's a stated goal - which
> makes Friendika a potential candidate for the
> Project. I have used Friendika and it's quite good, although the sign-up and
> "friend" process is cumbersome, but maybe this is the nature of federated
> networks.

man, the one particular point where
this project could change the future is
- social networking, should i describe?

That is a noble goal to build the bridge of friendship for  corporations
but it is reasonable - when these corporations are actually have a perfect,
transparent API's to federate with.
When these are willing to federate.

Exporting of contacts won't give the "interoperate with proprietary networks"
feature,
so it doesn't make "Friendika" or any other -  a potential candidate for the
> Project

Exporting and messing with the existing collected data would surely introduce
the next level of privacy, anonymity and organizational mess.

That export/import of anything exportable could be, of-course, done by
any modern
social project, but all the idea of keeping contacts list into some
social program could be
considered defective by design. Contacts if it is these real contacts
- with phone numbers,
paces, birthday dates - are a very, very important and valuable data
that Should be decoupled, unhosted,
if you wish, from any network.
That is another particular place where the work of W3C and in other
places is going on, as i see, and where the help of FBX gurus, architects,
are needed. All the identity staff - is like this, all the circles is
identity staff.
Are there other opinions?

-
 Basically FBX and other interested should need to decide
on XMPP or not for a discussing other types of federation.
I hope we'll discuss it on 15th chat.

Massively XMPP or not is a very  important  decision for this project,
in example - it would effect the distributed computing (processing)
scheme's we are deciding on, etc. Types of persisting, types of
communications, types of possible hubs etc.etc.

PS: FBX Foundation is another FLOSS community that acting on a fields
that correlate with
other FLOSS communities and these, all, should work together with a
very clever planing,
resource management and guru's advices on All the topics from these lists,
 or whole the work would feel strange and act stupidly for the users.