[Freedombox-discuss] CCC Meeting Notes

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at newamerica.net
Tue Aug 16 11:13:27 UTC 2011

Hi Isaac,

Just read your notes from CCC and wanted to comment on the wireless components.
 For the FreedomNodes, I would hope that the plan is to use 802.11a/b/g/n radios
and not tie them solely to 5GHz.  The 5GHz frequency, while often less
congested, has a harder time propagating through architecture, trees, etc. than
2.4GHz.  Since most consumer-grade equipment runs on 2.4GHz, being able to
bridge between 2.4GHz and 5GHz would maximize the options for ad-hoc meshing.

In terms of the Freedom Tower, the 3650-3700MHz band only allows higher-powered
use for "lite licensed" devices -- which means registering the device's location
with government authorities.  3650-3700MHz is also not harmonized globally, so
that could present a problem for sales of these devices in many locations around
the world.

Overall, I love the idea of several different types of FreedomBox equipment;
however, I also want to ensure maximum interoperability and extensibility of the
technology.

- --Sascha Meinrath
Director, Open Technology Initiative
New America Foundation