[Freedombox-discuss] CCC Meeting Notes

Henry Story henry.story at bblfish.net
Tue Aug 16 12:37:57 UTC 2011

On 16 Aug 2011, at 14:50, Jaromil wrote:

> re all,
>
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Samuel Rose wrote:
>
>> Hi Isaac. Great stuff below! A few short replies follow:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Isaac Wilder
>> <isaac at freenetworkmovement.org> wrote:

>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> This is Isaac Wilder, from the Free Network Foundation. I convened a
>>> meeting at Chaos Communication Camp a couple of days ago, in order to
>>> talk about FreedomBox, FreedomNode, and Free Network Architectures. I
>>> told those in attendance that I would type up my notes from the
>>> meeting, and send them to the list.
>>>

>>> To start, I presented what I saw as a workable architecture: several
>>> protocol daemons connected by a 'graph' or 'identity' manager that
>>> handles access control. We came up with the following list of
>>> essential daemons, in approximate order of priority:
>>> 1)HTTP
>>> 2)XMPP
>>> 3)SIP
>>> 4)IMAP
>>> 5)TOR
>>> 6)NMTP
>>>

>> (I think you are talking about NNTP here?)
>
> yep. I was the one suggesting SMTP and NNTP for this list of protocols.
>
> nice meeting BTW: I'm looking forward to stay in contact with the
> people who were present, Isaac had collected a list of emails on a
> piece of paper.

One could create a foaf:Group of the people attending the meeting, as I did for the Foaf Workshop

   http://bblfish.net/tmp/2011/08/13/

( we were interrupted and had to leave at a point where I had just only collected two WebIDs )

The advantage of having WebIDs here is that people don't have to give out their e-mail addresses, btw. Needing to reveal those only when necessary. But that still requires building the infrastructure.

Btw. I am currently developing clerezza on

   https://github.com/bblfish/clerezza/

which could be one implementation of the Social Web part. If anyone likes to develop Java and Scala please feel free to clone and contribute back patches.

Henry