[Freedombox-discuss] http://politics.slashdot.org/story/11/07/18/0153204/Security-Consultants-Wa rn-About-PROTECT-IP-Act

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 18:26:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 6:28 PM, J David Eisenberg
<jdavid.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> From my reading of this list, people also want to find existing
> packages which will fill the requirements with no changes or only
> minimal changes, given that it is often easier to modify a program
> than to write a new one from scratch.

 yes.  i'm aware of that.  it's why, whenever i encounter someone
who's written a piece of software that i believe does between 1% and
100% of the job, i'm making this list aware of that software's
existence.  there's often complete silence and zero reaction - for
which there could be several reasons.

one of them is quite likely to be that the requirements are just...
hellishly complex.  you can tell that from the list:
http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/UserRequirements/BrainStorm

so, even if someone says "software package X will help get you N%
towards fulfilling requirement M", what i _don't_ understand is not
even a "thank you" or a "great - put it on the wiki, here's a link
where the stuff you've sent best fits".  ok, i can understand the lack
of the words "thank you" or "great" - they're not essential.

l.