[Freedombox-discuss] Identity Management wiki entry

John Walsh fiftyfour at waldevin.com
Wed Aug 17 00:50:31 UTC 2011

Hi Brandon,

> I, too, am interested in helping to document the "big
> picture" since I probably won't be of much help on the
> low-level technical details.
> Perhaps we can start something on the wiki and those with
> more detailed knowledge in particular areas can help to
> clarify and fine-tune the information.
Thanks for your offer of help. Do you have any ideas yourself on how you
would like the documentation to be structured?

This is my first free software project. I have only being doing this for a
couple of months. Still, I remember when I decided to volunteer my time, the
hardest thing was to find a job because I am only a user who speaks one
language. I think there is plenty of work for translators and developers.
The closest thing to a volunteer jobs page can be found in the Working
Groups thread, but you'll be delighted to know there is one for
Documentation :) The next draft of the Working Group is due soon.

The biggest lesson I have learnt so far, which I keep forgetting, is that if
you think you have got a great idea you will probably find somebody else has
thought of it already. My advise would be to post an outline of your idea to
the discussion list. I still struggle to get the balance right between an
outline and a full blown idea :( When you post your outline ask people for
relevant links either from previous posts (people store the important posts)
or links to other projects. The hard part is that you have to read those
links, but if it's a topic you are genuinely interested in then you will
find it exhilarating and it will also help improve on your original idea.
Another bonus is that it will have saved you the time of re-inventing the
wheel and there is nothing more deflating than when you find out somebody
else has already done it. Believe me it's better to stand on the shoulders
of giants, because you would have made a good idea better.

Then post your idea to the wiki and the list for discussion. Update the wiki
entry with feedback \o/

It's difficult to find your feet at first, but stick with it. I still
haven't quite found my job here yet, but my advise is just keep trying
because jobs will pop into your head and in the end I believe I will find my
place in the project, which you will too ;)

If you are still not sure what to do I can propose some jobs for you.

Take Care

-- fiftyfour