[Freedombox-discuss] [Arm-netbook] Single-Core Cortex A9 1ghz, ECC DDR3 RAM available soon

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Aug 17 14:00:24 UTC 2011

 On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 18:39:17 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
 <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:

>  [ um... freedombox people... tell me... why was the shitty little
> NDA-loving armv5 marvell sheeva guwwu pwug chosen over the
> freedom-respecting really rather dishy little IMX53QSB?  i realise
> it's good to break marvell of their paranoia habit but even so... ]

 Well, there is one very good thing about the Marvell SheevaPlug, and
 that is that every bit of hardware in it is supported in the mainline
 kernel, including the crypto engine. And there's no GPU over which to
 grind the usual axe. I don't believe the Freescale have as much mainline
 support, so technically, as far as OSS support goes, Marvell is pretty
 good. Whether that is through Marvell's contribution or not I don't
 know, but in terms of what the end user gets to work with, it's seldom
 matched and hard to beat.

 Gordan