[Freedombox-discuss] [Arm-netbook] Single-Core Cortex A9 1ghz, ECC DDR3 RAM available soon

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 16:53:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

>  Maybe I'm missing something here, but if if you want to do that you
>  might as well scrap the Freedombox project and use one of the new
>  Samsung routers with OpenWRT. OpenWRT is a full fat Linux and runs on a
>  lot of ADSL/WiFi routers.

 can i assume you mean one of these?
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/samsung/smt-g3xx0

 to meet mass-market insane competitive pricing, typically these are
32mb RAM and 8mb NAND flash, with if you're lucky a 250mhz MIPS
processor.   it's therefore pretty damn easy to hit the $20 to $30
target in "plug computer" form-factor that eben envisages.  by a long
long margin.

 so the problem is that there's enough challenges to overcome without
adding to the list by having to fit into extreme embedded environments
as well.

 perhaps in a couple of years down the line, when there's a mature
software base, a gsoc project might conceivably be to port the
freedombox software off of debian and onto openwrt, on the basis that
even emdebian would be absolutely impossible to fit into 32mb RAM and
8mb of NAND flash.

l.