[Freedombox-discuss] A Simple Server Setup Guide

Olivier Schwander olivier.schwander at chadok.info
Mon Aug 22 08:52:27 UTC 2011

Hello everybody, it's my first post here.

Le 22 Aug 2011 02:53, Melvin Carvalho a écrit:
> Minor Note: Not sure how useful it is to host your own OpenID these
> days.

It's definitely useful, since your OpenID provider knows everything you
do on the (OpenID-authentificated) web. An it can decide if you have the
right to login or not.

> Host your own ID seemed to be pretty much abandoned by the
> OpenID community.

The main explication is that there is no OpenID server really usable and
easy to install on your own box. From the list on openid.net[0], most of
the projects are dead (no remaining website at all), abandoned (no
activity for years). I just found two promising projects: simpleid[1] and
prairie[2] but I am not confident enough to use them in a daily basis.

[0]: http://wiki.openid.net/w/page/12995226/Run%20your%20own%20identity%20server
[1]: http://simpleid.sourceforge.net
[2]: https://github.com/OleKEH/prairie-openid2-server

> I dont think livejournal, who invented OpenID is
> even accepted by most relying parties.

What do you mean ? If livejournal provides a compliant OpenID, it should
be accepted by other consumers. Do you mean there is a filter on
livejournal identities ?

Olivier