[Freedombox-discuss] Email on the FreedomBox Discussion

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Aug 24 11:23:05 UTC 2011

On 11-08-24 at 12:53pm, Brandon Invergo wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 12:28 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Ah, you propose to not deal with oldworld spam, just leave that to
> > ISPs.  Ok.
> >
> > How then prevent spam in newworld?  Just assume that noone sends
> > spam?

> As I said, it was a largely naive suggestion,

...and in appreciation, I bounced back a naïve counter-quiestion.

Sorry if my remark was received as hostile.  That was unintended.

> I'm purely looking at an outgoing situation: how can I be sure that my
> personal, non-spam messages arrive to their destination, even if I'm
> sending them from my FBX?

Ah, ok.  That helps make sense of your proposal.

As an aside, I do not share the experience of Bjarni regarding ISP port
blocking: In my experience most danish ISPs block port 25 by default
only to minimize harm from clueless users (by the assumption they might
be similarly clueless about virus/botnet infections of they machines).
Simply asking nicely and explicitly is enough to get all ports opened
(often free of charge).

> As for the incoming problem, I don't have a good solution because,
> you're right, content-based filtering systems are expensive on
> resources and simply aren't as good as, for example, Google's spam
> filtering. I suppose that within the FBX network, signing is
> important. If I get an email from you and it's not signed, then I
> assume it's not legitimate and I can discard it. For email from the
> outside world, though, I have no idea.

I see a need for exchanging email with oldworld, but not in newworld.

I feel that your proposal only addresses exchanging email in newworld
which (alone) does not have my interest.

> In the interim, one could at least take advantage of Google's spam
> filtering, but have their FBX use fetchmail to pull the (legitimate)
> email from GMail and hold onto it until you fetch it from the box.
> It's not ideal, as your emails still go through Google's filters for
> their ad service, but at least your emails aren't sitting on their
> servers (ok, they are there in backups) and you get to take advantage
> of excellent spam filtering.

Yes, the service of mirroring oldworld email is a valid service.  But
when it comes at the cost of encouraging email with no expectation of
solving the spam issue, it is to me the same as encouraging to stick
with oldworld email providers!

Kind regards,