[Freedombox-discuss] DHTs and Names

Marc Manthey marc at let.de
Wed Aug 24 12:53:16 UTC 2011

> http://www.i2p2.de/naming.html and
>> http://www.i2p2.de/naming_discussion.html
>>
>> Seems like a lot of use believe that the DNS has too many issues that
>> conflict with FBX project, so an alternative naming scheme should be
>> investigated.

Wow , will dig into this , thanks for the links !! , Looks like
something we were looking for :)

> At this point I'm slightly confused as to whether freedombox will or
> will not be using DNS.  IMHO, an alternative to DNS will take a decade
> to gain traction.  That is assuming if you pick the right one and have
> a whole lot of luck.
>
> As an example metric, the very successful GPG has 3 million users in
> 10 years.  Cityville, one game on one platform, got 100 million users
> in one month.
>
> The stack that that Eben Moglen mentioned in his inception for
> freedombox ( run your own web server, some dynamic dns, keep the logs
> on your box, allow microbloging, connect to existing SNS silos, some
> web parts, encrypted backups ) was what attracted me an others to this
> project, I still believe it can be a winner a winner, all be it with
> some tweaks.

Yesterday  i thought about IF we use our own call it freedombox DNS,
if its centralisted or not,  something like https://whatever  for each
box would be the goal
(using punicode for domainnames would be a plus)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name

I understand what sam  means , what if someone set up 20 boxes called https://eben_moglen(1)
  https://eben_moglen(2) or
https://ebenmoglen_ ,https://ebe_nmoglen, https://ebenmogle_n
there is no way to prevent domain squating , or a "verified button" :)

greetings

Marc

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231