[Freedombox-discuss] DHTs and Names

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 08:38:56 UTC 2011

On 25 August 2011 03:21, Tony Godshall <togo at of.net> wrote:
>> Yesterday  i thought about IF we use our own call it freedombox DNS,
>> if its centralisted or not,  something like https://whatever  for each box would be the goal
>> (using punicode for domainnames would be a plus)
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name
>>
>> I understand what sam  means , what if someone set up 20 boxes called https://eben_moglen(1https://eben_moglen(2) or
>> https://ebenmoglen_ ,https://ebe_nmoglen, https://ebenmogle_n
>> there is no way to prevent domain squating , or a "verified button" :)
>> greetings
>

> We need a reputation system.  If I visit https://eben_moglen and see
> any indication it's crap, I should be able to thumbs-down on it.
> Enough people do that, and the and the fake host(s) is(are) voted
> away.
>
> Anyone with good encryption chops know how one could do a DHT-based
> reputation/voting system?

A perfect reputation system is hard to do but you can get a confidence
interval, just bear in mind that treating any fact as 100% carries a
risk.

Simple way to do a reputation system is like Google page rank.

A can "endorse" B in a number of ways, the most obvious is linking or
signing.  You build up a public/private mesh of endorsements and then
score it a la page rank.

We already have the bare bones of this with FOAF, for example if you
see the FOAF file of henry story or tim berners-lee you will see
dozens of "in links" which are implicit endorsements.  Since a FOAF is
inked to a public key we can use key signing endorsements too, from
the GPG Web of Trust.

You can get smarter about things and layer on top, but we already have
the basis of some reputation and "social verification".  I think this
is something can be fleshed out..

Right now I'm experimenting with observing the integrity of public
keys when I get time free at http://publickey.info/ ... I'd be happy
to extend it an make the source and data publicly available under
AGPL, CC Zero etc.