[Freedombox-discuss] [cryptography] trustable self-signed certs in a P2P environment (freedombox)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Dec 1 07:04:40 UTC 2011

----- Forwarded message from Peter Eckersley <pde-lists at eff.org> -----

From: Peter Eckersley <pde-lists at eff.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 12:05:29 -0800
To: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
Cc: cryptography at randombit.net
Subject: Re: [cryptography] trustable self-signed certs in a P2P environment
	(freedombox)

Perspectives and Convergence are one effort to do this (what key do other
people see on this server?).  MonkeySphere is another (which humans in a web
of trust will vouch that this is the right key for this server?).

Perspectives/Convergence suffer from the problem that there is no way to tell
the difference between "the server was reinstalled and now has a new key" and
"the whole world sees an attack in progress".  The former is more common but
the second can also occurr.

MonkeySphere has the problem that the web of trust has to be enormous before
it's likely that you can build a chain to the admins of all of the websites
you visit.

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Technology Projects Director      Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131

----- End forwarded message -----