[Freedombox-discuss] New Unit.

Jim Tarvid tarvid at ls.net
Wed Dec 7 12:54:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 6:59 AM, Matt Dodson <war2none at hotmail.com> wrote:

> My response is the same as when I open a PC for the first time, what's
> that fan and heat-sink doing on the processor! I think ARM devices are
> going to be the best for FBx as they don't need fans and and heat-sinks,
> more energy efficient and less intrusive in peoples homes.
>
> But that a side, The Currus7 looks a very handsome machine.
>
> -m-

I built a server recently on a Foxconn R20-D4 with 2GB DDR2 and a used hard
disk and a low profile gigabit ethernet card for about $125. Installation
of Ubuntu 11.10 server by USB. Working on RADIUS now for use as a gateway
router. Not fanless but pretty quiet and all the power I need.

For personal use I would want a GUI desktop and one of the nettops would be
more functional. I don't see how to do this on an ARM based foundation.

Jim

> Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 13:22:54 -0800
> > From: weaver at riseup.net
> > To: freedombox-discuss at lists.alioth.debian.org
> > Subject: [Freedombox-discuss] New Unit.
>

> > Hello,
> >
> > The only references I could find were German and apparently it runs
> > Ubuntu, but I'm sure we could work out something better than that.
> > Tremendous price, but that could be coming down:
> >
> > http://www.silenthardware.de/2010/11/22/cirrus7-one/
> >
> > http://www.cirrus7.com/produkte/cirrus7-one/overview
> >

> http://linuxundich.de/de/hardware/lautloser-design-pc-hohe-leistung-ubuntu-cirrus7-one/
> > Regards,
> >
> > Weaver.
> > --
> >

> > Religion is regarded by the common people as true,
> > by the wise as false,
> > and by the rulers as useful.
> >
> > — Lucius Annæus Seneca.
> >
> > Terrorism, the new religion.

Kindness Works!
Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA
12897A Grays Pointe Road, Fairfax, Va 22033
703-657-0099 Condo
703-594-7297 Google Voice
38.8778239, -77.392696
http://ls.net