[Freedombox-discuss] PGP Keyserver

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Dec 9 17:25:36 UTC 2011

On 12/09/2011 08:09 AM, John Walsh wrote:
> I suspect a keyserver is only used to store and manage ones public key.

keyservers are for public key material only.  even if they would accept
secret key material, you would be ill-advised to place your secret key
on a public server.

> I am
> just getting confused between the option to import/export and keyserver
> syncing.

export and import produce and consume data streams (files) that you can
manipulate any way you like.  sending and receiving from a keyserver
does a data exchange between the remote keyserver network and your local
keyring.

does that help?

	--dkg