[Freedombox-discuss] Wiki Engine for a DreamPlug?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 13:07:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 December 2011 23:17, Nick Daly <nick.m.daly at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks, I know you're all pleasantly opinionated, so please, chime
>> in!  I'm wondering what you'd recommend for a wiki engine on the
>> DreamPlug?  Is MediaWiki too big?  Is there another you'd recommend?
>> If it's simple to set up and configure, all the better, because, at
>> Thomas Ruddy's request, I'm looking to add it to my plug server setup
>> scripts.
>>
>> Also, are there any port-forwarding services, similar to PageKite that
>> I should be aware of?  I'm looking to add that to the setup scripts as
>> well and just want to be sure I'm covering all my (major) options.
>
> I'd try and use one with maximum 'data freedom', so allowing htlm5
> markup such as rdfa and/or microdata.
>
> This will enable fbx to be more linkable / expressive long-term.
>
> Not sure what the options are but if mediawiki is not too resource
> intensive there's a semantic mediawiki plugin too.  Another advantage
> of mediawiki is that it's well supported and a large team working with
> the latest web standards ...

I too settled on ikiwiki for a local data store and blog (one of my
blogs is in it)

There are two features and two flaws in ikiwiki on the dreamplug.

The read-only feature is amazingly fast on lighttpd even on tiny hardware,
and it's very easy to replicate stuff with rsync (as well as fast).
This latter feature is very good to have in a netnews-less world.

The flaws were that it took over two minutes on a dreamplug to generate
a new entry via the perl cgi interface at the time I was trying it (about a
year ago), on a reasonably complex wiki.

I ended up doing web editing via a separate server, which then pushed
via rsync, the changes back to the gateway. I would hope that this process
has been sped up - or that I was merely screwing up how new files were
generated, at the time.

The other flaw was that I really wanted a local search engine and never
settled on one. There are multiple choices available...

A third flaw is that on my latest project, which is on a smaller box
than the dreamplug (16MB flash/64MB ram), perl is simply too big to fit on
the box, so I wish ikiwiki's concept was written in lua rather than perl.

git as a back-end rocks.