[Freedombox-discuss] Why is this list so quiet?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Feb 17 00:07:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 06:27:47PM -0500, Andrew Schaaf wrote:

>On Feb 16, 2011, at 5:04 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>
>> Sounds cool!  But also sounds like a big thing, coded from scratch.
>
>Big? It sounds like you're new to Coffee/Node ;-)

I do not code much at all, actually: I do packaging (and Perl/make/shell
scripting, but mostly packaging).

>> Perhaps you could be interested in starting with a single concrete
>> app with a potential to become succesful on its own, and then grow
>> from there - also refining your intended "framework" of reusable
>> components, as you grow the palette of apps.
>
>Yes.
>
>> http://open.buddycloud.com/get-involved
>
>Cool.

There is an existing client part implemented already in CoffeeScript
called Diaspora x² which needs some love: Apparently it needs some
updating to reflect recent protocol improvements, its author, Ben Nolan,
is too busy to work on it at the moment, and noone else at Buddycloud is
into CoffeeScript (some code in Node, some in Lua).

Code: https://github.com/bnolan/diaspora-x2.git
Fully working demo: http://diaspora-x.com/

Try join their Jabber MUC at seehaus at channels.buddycloud.com and get
hold of Simon there - he seems to be in phone contact with Ben Nolan.

(I am working on Debian packaging - but no draft packaging code released
yet as I need clarification on some licensing and I have not yet
succeeded in getting hold of Ben Nolan about that).