[Freedombox-discuss] Distributed/non-hierarchical naming/discovery system

stillyet at googlemail.com stillyet at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 17 18:35:27 UTC 2011

What I've read so far on Freedombox doesn't seem to cover the issues of
naming and discovery of nodes.

DNS, as we currently have it, is an inherently hierarchical naming system.
It has a single point of failure - or capture - in the root name servers.
Even if freedombox used a different root name server from the standard ICANN
controlled ones, it would still be something for hostiles to attack in order
to disrupt or disable the worldwide freedombox network, or to capture
individual node addresses within the freedombox space.

The alternative is a distributed peer-to-peer naming and discovery system
such as the IDONS proposal, http://www.idons.org. It seems to me  that would
have a very natural fit with what is being proposed for freedombox.

Apologies if people have already thought of (and perhaps discarded) this
idea.

Cheers

Simon

--
Simon Brooke :: http://www.journeyman.cc/~simon/

        ;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat.