[Freedombox-discuss] Roadmap proposal

Tom Jaster futur3.tom at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 17 20:28:25 UTC 2011

Am 17.02.2011 um 21:12 schrieb bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 08:24:04PM +0200, Samuel Gyger wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 16:29, James Vasile <james at hackervisions.org> wrote:
>>> So if we are starting at the beginning, we need a device that can
>>> replace people's routers and then we can layer on the freedom bits.
>>
>> As we talk about router, I would suppose don't build on IPv4 anymore.
>> We should build on the future, should use the possibilities that we
>> get with IPv6, removing all the problems with NATs etc. Which also
>> redefines the thing a router should do here.
>
> I'd prefer to let the user choose wether he/she wants IPv4 or IPv6, as
> there are concerns about IPv6 and privacy. It hasn't actually been that
> audited in regards of this topic and might leaks information the user
> don't want to (like it's router MAC ID for example).
>
> bert.

There are these privacy extensions in IPv6 where you choose a random IP in your network. You won't get more privacy in IPv4. (NAT is crap)
IPv6 has so many benefits, just think of all the things you can do with mobile home ip, i mean even bonjour/upnp is routed to your mobile or laptop at work!
greets tom

Sry for double mail @bert