[Freedombox-discuss] UX

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Feb 18 10:51:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 02:03:30AM -0800, Dave Crossland wrote:
>>> ...have awesome UX.
>>
>> Delighted to see someone else bring this up! I got no replies to my
>> attempt to provoke a UX discussion back in December - this might be a
>> good time to revive it?
>
>I don't believe UX design can be done over mailing lists. No free
>software exists for UX tasks, that I am aware of. So I suggest we
>organize face to face meetings where UX designers and Debian Developers
>can spend a few days together, face to face

Interesting point.

Not sure I agree that the lack of Free software is the (main) benefit of
face2face meetings.  But heck, I am not a designer, so what do I know.

What I do know is that work on code also blossoms by meeting face2face.
As does work on packaging code. And work on tuning the packaging of code
- that last one IMO being the only actual thing we really should be
doing here, besides encouraging everyone both here and in the rest of
the FLOSS community to help us with the former underlying parts.

>I'll be at SXSW and Libre Planet :-)

Please add to the wiki info (time, location) about those events and a
short/long note on why it is relevant to Freedombox!

Would you perhaps be interested in organizing concrete "Debian sprints"?

More info on the concept here: http://wiki.debian.org/Sprints

@Héctor: perhaps you would be interested to help out - with your
experience in organizing sprints for Emdebian?

I would love to take time to join such sprints!

Maybe if I then do other tasks that clumsily try to draw fonts from
scratch as you tried teach me last we met, it could even be beneficial
to others that I participate ;-)