[Freedombox-discuss] hardware and software maybe separate?

e.waelde ew.ng7125 at nassur.net
Fri Feb 18 17:26:05 UTC 2011

Hi,

I would like to mention an aspect that might deserve some more attention.

In my humble opinion the hardware and software things of the freedom
box project could be viewed much more as separate items.

a. software

A working FreedomBox need not neccessarily be a small device. Just
any box available is good enough to experiment with the software
side of things, like routing, dns, identification, distributed
storage and what not.

I envision a set of Wiki pages with accurate instructions on how
to configure these services to make them work.
. want to try tor hidden services? This is how your box will be seen.
. want to try p2p distributed dns?
. want to create distributed storage ...

 From this information missing configuration options in packaging will
emerge and fixing packages up will lead to installable package sets.

b. hardware

Packaging things up to run on single-board-computers (like alix),
routers, plug computers is an entirely different task. Using
Debian Pure Blends as a basis seems entirely appropriate.

The two tasks are not independant, but IHMO they are not strongly
coupled.

Cheers,
Erich