[Freedombox-discuss] Willing to contribute

Hector Oron hector.oron at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 13:41:29 UTC 2011

Hello Joshua,

2011/2/18 Joshua Spodek <joshuaspodek at yahoo.com>:

> I'm interested in contributing my time and skills to this project. I see
> some logistical, organizational roles unfilled. Not having worked on
> debian projects before, I'm not sure if the following are relevant, but
> I see needs in
>
>      * coming to agreement on the road map while making sure all
>        relevant voices are heard

I'd like to follow a development based on V-model [0], some wiki pages
are available for roadmap and requirements. Some kind of management is
needed. I really have not much time for it, but I think it is highly
important, so if you, Matt Joyce or else want to take management
leadership I think it is great!

>      * helping create requirements

Surely that is, from my point of view, the first think to do.

>      * helping figure out what subgroups can work on what subprojects
>        so teams work together without taking time from other teams

Before that we need to have a clear design, what to focus on. Then we
can have the implementation phase, where groups could be build up to
pursue particular tasks, as packaging, upstream software enhancements,
etc... these is very important IMO.

>      * helping people join appropriate groups so they can contribute
>      * motivating newcomers and getting them contributing

True, always! :-)

> I'd be happy to contribute in these areas if people consider them
> relevant. If not, I'm happy to contribute in other ways that are.

I was planning to go through the mailing list archives and extract
requirements and part of the design, we already have most of the
pieces, but not in an organized manner where other developers can
understand what is going on. Right now, this looks a bit like a farm
with chickens with chopped heads running around, it would be nice if
we could get some focus, at least try to get all chickens running in
the same direction.

Another thing we got to be careful is hijacking threads, for example,
I tried to open a discussion thread about Roadmap discussion and it
has ended up discussing if we need IPv6 or IPv4 or both, it might be
useful to discuss but that was not the right place for such
discussion. IMHO I think we should be careful with keeping things
"on-topic".

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-Model_(software_development)
[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/freedombox-discuss/2011-February/000387.html

Best regards,