[Freedombox-discuss] What dreams are made of...

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Feb 20 19:55:23 UTC 2011

On 19 February 2011 10:04, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>>>FreedomBox = software + hardware + design + dreams
>
> My intended message is that there are 4 equally important areas - and that
> our discussions so far have been mostly on #4: dreams!

I have no heard anyone suggest working on new hardware, but using off
the shelf hardware that is freely re-installable (no tivoization) and
already available cheaply for middle class westerners. So I think the
hardware part is not that important. And these areas are roughly in a
narrative:

dreams -> design -> software => FreedomBox

I'd hazard a guess that 3 kinds of general purpose computers are worth
considering for the "full, Debian" freedom box - an old PC, a new
pogoplug, and a rented Xen slice - but that of the goals listed at
https://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/goals/ I suggest encrypted web
access is the #1 priority, and that can be achieved with a bunch of
patches/forks to DD-WRT et al.