[Freedombox-discuss] Fwd: [IP] re Building the Technology Stack for Internet Freedom

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Feb 20 22:29:39 UTC 2011

:)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Farber <dave at farber.net>
Date: 20 February 2011 16:25
Subject: [IP] re Building the Technology Stack for Internet Freedom
To: ip <ip at listbox.com>

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 at bobf.frankston.com>
Date: February 19, 2011 5:07:14 PM EST
To: <dave at farber.net>, "'ip'" <ip at listbox.com>, <dewayne-net at warpspeed.com>

There are lots of wonderful project that deal with the social and
application layers but where is the effort to address the underlying
infrastructure where BGP and other mechanisms operate? A key element of this
is that today's telecommunications infrastructure which is built around the
needs of billing thus making it dependent upon authority.

We had a similar situation with X.400 which was an email protocol that
reflect the PTT administrative structure. Fortunately it was just a protocol
and not a physical layers so that SMTP provided an effective alternative.

As long as the physical infrastructure's primary design point is ownership
by providers who channel all traffic past their billing points we design
around mechanisms that make it easy to shut off the Internet. There is
little difference between disconnecting you for not having paid your bills
and disconnecting you because you violate some governmental or commercial
policy.