[Freedombox-discuss] How to use the Freedombox

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon Feb 21 05:13:37 UTC 2011

Hi Siri!

On 20 February 2011 20:39, Siri Reiter <siri at jones.dk> wrote:

> I'm a Danish self-employed allround graphic designer and illustrator.
> I currently work with identity design, communication design
> (brochures, packaging, posters etc.) and web design (CSS hacking). I
> also photograph, paint, draw and give drawing lessons.

Great to see you here! :-)

> Lately I have been much occupied with design matters concearning
> Freedombox, and I have many unanswered questions.

:-)

> Do you have ideas or hints of how to interact with the box, please
> help the design process by explaining them in plain words: If I just
> turn it on, will it work? No?

Not the first time because it will need some "set up" configuration
from you. The information design profession has a deep understanding
of form design which has been captured in some software to some
extent, by eg wufoo.com and also autoconfiguration can go quite far;
the "set up" configuration process of WordPress has become a gold
standard I think :-)

After that, yes, I think it would.

> What do I need to do as a user to make it help me save the World?

First you need to understand why you need it, which you can learn by
being told stories about how people like you used it to achieve
certain goals.

Authoring those usage stories is, I hope, something the Technical Lead
that the Freedom Box Foundation website says is soon to be introduced
will do, because knowing them is integral to contemporary software
development.