[Freedombox-discuss] Sunday HackFest

Hector Oron hector.oron at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 23:34:33 UTC 2011

Hello,

2011/2/21 Michiel de Jong <michiel at unhosted.org>:

> i think sheevaplug, guruplug, tonidoplug and pogoplug are the four
> plugservers that are currently commercially available, and that all contain
> quite similar their hardware, and all cost $99. Some have more NICs than
> others, etc. I think Sheeva has no fan and apparently gets too hot. Guru has
> a fan that apparently sounds like a 24x7 hair dryer.

Sheevaplug has no fan and it is working fine as what relates to heat
issues. Then global scale technologies tried with Guruplug to add two
Gigabit interfaces into the device, but that caused heating problems,
which should be solved by now, those first guruplugs did not have any
fan, not sure if they have changed design now to solve heating problem
[0]. I have not found any hair dryer sound on any of those devices.

> More hardware is mentioned
> here http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware

I like, promote and use EfikaMX - at about $95 -, quite more powerful
than a plug computer,also useful as media center. [1]

[0] http://globalscaletechnologies.com/news.aspx
     7/5/2010 Guru Plug Server - Plus Technical Announcement
[1] http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2011/02/95-smarttop.html

Best regards,
--
 Héctor Orón