[Freedombox-discuss] Willing to contribute

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Feb 22 03:09:27 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 21 February 2011 17:24, Michiel de Jong <michiel at unhosted.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Having fun and a weekly release cadence sounds awesome to me! I wish I
>> could help with the coding :)
>
> You can though! All you would need to join in, is some basic linux user
> skills.

I only have time to offer some thoughts as I'm working full time on
libre fonts. oflb.org + www.google.com/webfonts :-)

> We're not coding, nor are we packaging. We are just trying things
> out to see if they could work. A typical work cycle could be:
> - think about one of the goals
> - search for existing software that does what needs doing. you might find,
> say, 5 different pieces of software, all available in debian, and all
> relevant candidates.
> - read about each one, install them, try them out. discuss your findings
> with the others on IRC. write down your conclusions.
> - if you find something that works, add it to the VM snapshot.

I kindly suggest the work cycle would be:

 - rank each of the goals by impact
 - rank each of the goals by effort
 - pick the highest impact, lowest effort one
 - try to use the most common existing free software to reach that goal
 - discuss your findings with others on here IRC
 - post your conclusions on this list
 - repeat

Cheers
Dave