[Freedombox-discuss] Kickstarter's initial goal was reached

Clint Adams clint at debian.org
Wed Feb 23 16:39:53 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 04:19:17PM +0000, Matt Willsher wrote:
> are investing a reasonable amount of time even at this stage. What are
> we contributing to and is there really any point in discussing the
> this device if key decisions have already been made behind currently
> closed doors? Or should I just wait for the FAQ?

I think ceding control over a hypothetical device to a single entity
might be missing the point.  Luckily people have been working on secure
networking, distributed decentralized naming, data storage away from
the "Cloud", and making these technologies easy to use.  Hopefully they
will continue to do so irrespective of specific hardware platforms or
the actions and inactions of the FreedomBox Foundation.

What I would like to see the foundation do is push a specific,
well-integrated software platform on a specific class of hardware,
and get enough critical mass for it to be really cheap for the
masses.  That should then cascade into more effort improving
the software and protocols on various platforms, and empowering
users everywhere.

I am happy to run pure, unadulterated Debian on my plug computers,
but easy federation with people's mass-produced devices would be
a good thing.