[Freedombox-discuss] How should we translate 'box'?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Feb 23 21:50:56 UTC 2011

Hi,

I kindly disagree, Jonas.

If I lived in a country with a more oppressive state, I might like to rent a
xen slice in a less oppressive state when I go there and have it be my
freedom box. Owning title and locating the box in my house helps guard
against warrantless search, but maybe I don't care about that and renting
offsite is better.

Really this is all about getting people to run libre network services'
server parts, and servers are informally called 'boxes' in English because
server hardware typically has no screen, mouse or keyboard - just the box
part. A personal computer that just runs daemons interfaced on TCP ports is
a box; nothing physical about it.

Running free software network services can be done with an old PC onto which
one can install debian, or a pogoplug, or a settop box/wifi-dsl router that
runs the linux kernel.

I suggest that backup (GitHub and DropBox) and web proxying (Tor and SSH
SOCKS) are 2 things that are deceptively simple.

If we can get those right and make them case studies, in 12 months the
freebox box might look like something 100,000s of developers want to make
libre apps for because they understand how to earn an honest living doing
so, and then we'll not be yet another noble failure like Sugar and OpenMoko.

App Store? APP COMMONS :)

Jonas, if every kid in your school wants to run this really useful network
service that's kind of like X but its totally private, how will they do it?
Buying a xen slice for €5.month with no money down is easier to come by than

Regards, Dave