[Freedombox-discuss] Added Pagekite to the wiki

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson bre at pagekite.net
Sun Jan 16 14:04:56 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 12:19:44PM +0000, Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson wrote:
>
>> I just added Pagekite to the FreedomBox wiki, under Networking.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure Pagekite is today the easiest way to expose a personal
>> server to the wider Internet without mucking about with router and firewall
>> settings. It works pretty well at this point, and it not only does basic
>> HTTP, but has support for HTTPS and SSH tunneling as well.
>>

> Sounds interesting.  Don't know that tool myself.

It's new, I wrote it. :-)  I'll be giving a lightning talk about it at
FOSDEM next month.

>  We are currently working on a Debian package for it (one exists, but needs
>> more iterations before it is production-ready). Do we need an existing
>> Debian developer as a champion for getting it into the official repos? Any
>> volunteers?
>>

> First step is to file an RFP or ITP bugreport about it.  I recommend using
> the tool "reportbug" for that - found in the package by the same name:
>
>  reportbug wnpp
>
> ...and then follow the command-line wizard.
>
> When that's done, you can hand the resulting bugnumber to this list and at
> other Debian-related places, trying to convince someone of the relevancy of
> maintaining a packaging of that project.

I would be quite happy to maintain it myself, actually. I guess in that case
the question becomes "how do I become a package maintainer?". Or does Debian
generally prefer that package maintainers and up-stream authors are seperate
entities? Probably a FAQ, I know, but again I'm guessing there is some sort
of network of peers involved and I'll need a champion/mentor/friend if doing
it myself is indeed an option.

--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
The Beanstalks Project ehf.