[Freedombox-discuss] Relationship driven privacy

John Walsh fiftyfour at waldevin.com
Mon Jul 4 05:25:34 UTC 2011

 Hi Melvin,

> From: Melvin Carvalho [mailto:melvincarvalho at gmail.com]
> > Basically at myopenid.com you can create different "Personas"
> > (profiles of information), which you choose at the time you
> login with
> > openid. For me you could have a friend persona, a sibling
> persona etc.
> > I believe the technical term is attribute exchange. If freedombox
> > friend process had a similar UI then there would be no
> distinguishable difference between the user.
>
> Myopenid is a good model, and great interface, but openid has
> shifted to more corporate, rather than it's original user
> centric roots.
> Hosting your own profile is barely supported by OpenID these
> days, but we can do that same thing with WebID which is user centric.
I didn't know that hosting your own profile was barely supported now. That's
a pity and would probably rule out OpenID as an option for FreedomBox.

> You dont need AX (attribute exchane), just use the HTML5 data
> layer, which should be fine if freedom box is hosting a web server.

I looked at WebID a year ago and thought the idea was simple and brillant.
However, at the time, I thought WebID had an ugly interface (due to
Firefox), there was no Persona's (AX) option, it wasn't clear to me what
happens when a certificate expires and it wasn't widely used. What has
changed?