[Freedombox-discuss] Persistent Personal Names for Globally Connected Mobile Devices

nathan nolast nathan1465 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 06:17:13 UTC 2011

i think your just pointing out one of the many already stated issues with
centralized services, and how big brother doesnt like to lose control of its
censorship and monitoring platform. We already see this happening, countrys
blocking sites and services because they conflict with their specific laws
ect ect.

You could only be held to these standards if they could backtrace a
connection or route the data took from point a to point b. IE the need for
anonymous data transfers/connections/ect

We have a big responsibility, and duty to protect the Internet as a vehicle
for free speech. No matter the material, nature, or legality. we cant cherry
pick what types of services and material we will accept as free speech and
block what we find offensive or illegal based on one country's set of laws.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Tony Godshall <togo at of.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Sandy Harris <sandyinchina at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Marc Manthey <marc at let.de> wrote:
> >>

> >> I have one little concern , here in germany (maybe somewhere else ? )
>  we
> >> have a law called "Störerhaftung"
> >>
> >> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/St%C3%B6rerhaftung
> >>
> >> i cant find a proper translation for it ( disturber responsibility  ? )
> ,
> >> but in short it means that the owner of a wifi/ hotspot or whatever its
> >> called
> >> when you share an ip with others, you are responsible !! , so if someone
> >> downloads mp3s, porn, the owner could be be impeached.
> >> and it happend several time here in germany.   >>>>
> >>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardriving   !!
> >> IMHO this affects all open wifi networks /mesh like freifunk
> >> whatever...........
> >>
> >> i am not sure how we could  handle  this problem, technicaly.
> >
> > There is some work being done on this issue. See:
> > http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/04/open-wireless-movement
> >
> > I'd say that whatever EFF and others come up with in that
> > area will be something the Box should support, though in
> > some places the Box owner might need to disable it.
>
> Ideally this would happen automatically, like happens with
> wifi frequencies...

Thank you for your time
~Nathan
nathan1465 at gmail.com