[Freedombox-discuss] Working with W3C Federated Social Web

ya knygar knygar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 18:32:37 UTC 2011

W3C FSW has -  not only OStatus:
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/federatedsocialweb/wiki/Protocols
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/FederatedSocialWebCharter
nor - had - previous SW incubator -
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/XGR-socialweb/

i think - if something isn't mentioned that's because - there wasn't
the move from developers itself
like - http://indiewebcamp.com/undiscussed

and, i haven't seen no emphasis on something except
if one of the members, like StatusNet could be  the most active on wiki,
because they have real money-driven interest, i think.

obviously - there are broader group, than represented in FSW incubator
for example - d-cent.org/wiki
and http://we-need-a-free-and-open-social-network.wikispaces.com/
but i'm sure - FSW should be the base for discussion !between all
these initiatives,
if we want the real Federation to happen.

i am as PR of http://PyOfWave.info project, and, PyOfWave as a member
among of 4+ (not naming Apache Wave now) Independent Wave-alike
networks, going partly, with existing protocols, partly with invented
schemes.

But - we are aimed for FSW and - not because we like FSW as the place
for discussion - mailing lists aren't nice
and minute chat's  are just fun.

But - because it's only - obvious place where such a Federation, being
built with Privacy and Security
as the corner stones  - would, likely to start on.
I mean - not on *our* or *yours* lists, forums or pads, even if we
like them, but there on FSW infrastructure, where people could work
together on the most *real* Federated Social Web.

We, as XCCC networks have the most difficult objectives among social
networks - to federate with working
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Operational_transformation
or, even, next gen of it, however we are still trying to make it with
most of FSW participants, so it could be called Web Federation!

If we, like we did already, would work independently, only on our own
- we'll have   http://we-need-a-free-and-open-social-network.wikispaces.com/
variety lists without real federation for years if ever, given that
both FB and G+ have and would have more of standards under the hoods,
we shouldn't make just another type of federation - because it suits
our base.
Here is a man - proposing wait for another G+ standards:
http://mattblr.tumblr.com/post/7149479901/google-facebook-federated-social-network-2

i can't agree with that situation either, as if ever we could - it's
now - we could show the Google and Facebook that - it's Them - who
need to think how to federate with all the coming FSW world, not us.
It's them  - who need to open their data for Independent real-time
search, for Independent Web Apps etc.

FreedomBox Federation could tidily collaborate with existing -
professional initiatives under existing professional institutions like
W3C or just start another one Federated Group, i think - you should
decide.