[Freedombox-discuss] Self-hosting git sources

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Jul 15 11:03:41 UTC 2011

On 11-07-15 at 11:53am, Henri Asseily wrote:

> > +1
> >
> > I don't use github, and the FreedomBox project might gain in
> > visibility by having its own git hosting. Projects related to this
> > one would all be in one place, easy to find, rather than spread
> > everywhere. Might be alioth' git hosting, but it requires to have
> > access to it.
>
> What about having a 0.0.001 version of the FB self-host its own git
> repo? The ultimate bootstrapping :)

How about this:

 1) Use Debian infrastructure throughout (a.k.a. Debian Pure Blend)
 2) Have FreedomBoxes join http://debtorrent.alioth.debian.org/
 3) Extend apt-transport-debtorrent to cover git sources

Personally I do not expect 2) and 3) to take off (eats too much precious
bandwidth), but if so, I cannot imagine it being more successful at
doing so if skipping 1).